If you’re reading this, then you’re either the poor sap who got my name in the Secret Santa, or just curious as to what sort of things this Tygore fellow wants for Christmas.
Well, first some things about me: I grew up on Nintendo consoles, starting with the SNES I got for Christmas at age 5. Super Mario World was my game, to the point where I still can conquer the whole thing from memory and even know a few secrets that are still relatively obscure. As I got older I discovered RPGs, starting with Pokémon and Super Mario RPG then moving on to classics like Final Fantasy VI (III as we knew it at the time) and Chrono Trigger- the latter still being one of my favorite games of all time. My love of RPGs is what eventually pushed me into the Sony console space as well, splitting the cost of a PS2 with my brother so we could get Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts. I’ve also since developed a love of visual novels and other story-driven games, like the Zero Escape and Ace Attorney series.
Some things about me that a potential gift-giver might want to know:
- I love finding and sharing hidden gems, games that are pretty good but managed to stay under most people’s radars. I bought a friend a copy of Ghost Trick for her birthday a few weeks ago because I stumbled across it and love introducing people to that game.
- My favorite Pokémon is Volcarona. Good luck finding merchandise around that one, but I figure it’s worth a mention.
- I currently am equipped to play games on any Nintendo or Sony system, ever. Although a couple of them are still boxed up at my parents’ house, if you got me an old game I’d be able to make it work. I also have a Steam account (tygore001) that you could gift something to.
- I wear a men’s XL t-shirt if you want to go that route. In terms of merch in general, I’m a fan of pretty much any of the big Nintendo franchises as well as Ace Attorney, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Chrono Trigger, Zero Escape, and DanganRonpa.
- As far as non-video gaming stuff goes, I’m a big fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra. There are a few graphic novels out, and I only have The Promise and The Rift (I’ve read The Search, but due to a leaky trash bag incident I had to throw my copy away). I’m also a Magic: The Gathering player, and wouldn’t say no to a Kaladesh Gift Box. I could also use a box or something to sort dice- I have a few sets, some with different purposes, and would really like an all-purpose way to carry them and keep them sorted.
- I also play a lot of board games. Recently I finally got to play Ticket to Ride, which is fun. My friends and I also play a lot of King of Tokyo, as well as a game called Pirate Den (which you should check out if you ever have the chance, but that’s another story). I generally prefer games that are quick and simple, where you can get a few plays in a sitting. But I don’t object to games that require set-up either, if you have something in mind.